Friday, May 9, 2014

Changing things up!

This week in art, I decided to scratch my owl vessel and create a ceramics bowl. To create my bowl, I coiled by hand and slipped and scored my coils to the base. I then worked my way up slipping and scoring  my coils together. Once I was done, I merged my coils together creating a smooth surfaced bowl. Also this week, I brainstormed  color glaze ideas to paint my finished pieces. 

Here is my European clog;





Here is my lantern;




Friday, May 2, 2014

Owl

In art this week, I continued working on my owl vase. I rolled out a large piece of clay and pasted it to my newspaper base. I ended up using two pieces of clay to cover my base and I slipped and scored them together. I made my base too wide to carve an owl and therefore I have to come up with a different plan. I'm not exactly sure what I will do but I will soon figure it out!



Saturday, April 26, 2014

New project!

This week in art we started chapter 7 textured vessels. I did a lot of brainstorming and I decided to make an owl vase. To begin this project I made a base made out of newspaper. I clumped the newspaper together to form my shape of an owl. My next task is to role out clay and begin forming my owl. I am excited to move forward on my project! 


Monday, April 21, 2014

Finishing up the lantern

This week in art, I worked on finishing my project. I took my piece and added more details to it. I carved out a rectangle on both sides of my lantern. I decided to turn my lantern right side up. I had to figure out a way to keep my piece balanced and I am still figuring this out. My next task is to clean my piece up and smooth down the extra clay.








Friday, April 11, 2014

Progress on my lantern!

continued working on my clay lantern during art this week. To add definition and design to my lantern, I cut out eight geometric shapes. These Shapes included four triangles, and two rectangles. Using the cutouts, I attached two triangles to each rectangle to create the beginning of my design. To complete my design, I had to figure out a way to connect one point of each triangle together. This was accomplished by cutting the tip off of each triangle creating a flat top. The flat tops were then connected to each other creating my design.










Thursday, April 3, 2014

Japenese lantern

This week in art we were introduced with our new project of japenese lanterns. Our lanterns must have a special meaning to us. My mom works for the airlines and I have been traveling the world since I was a baby. So, traveling has become apart of my lifestyle. For my lantern, I am going to carve in symbols of traveling such airplanes, plane tickets, luggage, a map, etc. I am excited to start this project. Here's a look at my progress.










Friday, March 28, 2014

The Dutch Clog

This week in art, I have finally completed my Dutch clog. I worked on removing excess clay from my piece. Once I was finished cleaning and smoothing my shoe, I carved in a windmill which is very popular in Holland. Next to the windmill I arved I the word Holland. On the side of my clog, I carved tulips to add more detail. I am excited about my clog and I can't wait to fire it.